Chattanooga's neighborhoods are growing and changing. Residents and neighborhood organizations should lead the way.
Plenum consists of three related programs:
PlenumWorks seeks to rebalance economic inequality through homeownership and permanently affordable rental housing.
We work in the mainstream real estate market, with measurable social impacts as our primary objective.
Our strategic role in the housing equity process
PlenumWorks assembles and transfers properties to community-based entities. We hold properties temporarily while stabilizing the financing, the physical structures, the tenants and homeowners, and community organizations. We help to found new organizations where needed, and build up their capacity to manage properties going forward.
PlenumWorks is interested in working with Chattanooga neighborhoods and organizations on housing and homeownership initiatives.
Neighborhoods can do more to be prepared for the future.
- better information about current neighborhood character
- and about the planning and development process
- ongoing familiarity and discussion of development issues among residents
Neighborhoods can establish and lead a vision for their area.
- neighborhood plans
- conservation overlay districts
- community benefit agreements
Neighborhoods can lead redevelopment efforts.
- forming development partnerships
- direct participation in municipal infrastructure and open space projects
- establishing community development corporations
Our current technical assistance project is the Chattanooga Neighborhood Atlas Project.
Please contact us at email@example.com to learn more about our technical assistance services.
Plenum Constellation is a peer support network of neighborhood-based cultural leaders.
Core beliefs and principles of action
- Respect for the reality of other people’s lives: their paradigms, priorities, identities, and actions.
- The defense of ordinary life: protecting and prioritizing the dignity of everyday activities and freedoms over any ideological objectives, grand plans, or -isms.
- Restoring the ‘landscape’ of equality: engaging in current efforts in a manner that redresses deeper inequalities.
Community of practice activities
ongoing interpersonal dialogue
convening occasions for peer learning
publishing community voices
The first Constellation project is the Cultural Asset Inventory Process.